Featured Post

Welcome to My Nerd Experiance!

Hi there, [Insert Personalized name here]! I am glad you stopped in! Welcome to my Blog of all things Nerdom related! As you begin ...

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Fun Friday # 4 - The Rise of YouTube

Hi there everyone!

Happy Friday!

YouTube. 

YouTube is so prevalent in our culture now...you can find anything on there. 

In some cases, that is a bad thing, with embarrassing things that you did in high school posted for the world to see. But for the most part, the majority of videos are constructive and informative... especially when it comes to hobbies and Video games. You can find a tutorial for anything if you look hard enough, from 4 other people who had the same issues as you. YouTube is also a fantastic way to discover new things. I want to talk about 3 major aspects that I use YouTube for, and why I think it is a great thing. 

The first thing I want to talk about is miniature war gaming. There are millions of different videos on what games to play, how to play them, what models to get, how to build/paint the models... the varieties are endless. Perhaps the biggest reason why I am always interested in building, painting, thinking about these things is because I watch videos all the time about these games. I have two main groups I watch, Miniwargaming, and Guerrilla Miniature games. Both of these groups cover a fairly wide variety of games, and cover other aspects of the hobby as well, from hobby showcases to rules discussion, with all sorts of battle reports in between. Perhaps the best thing about these channels is the wide variety of games they run. I have discovered Infinity, Frostgrave, Bolt action, and Age of Sigmar because of the battle reports posted there. 
As for video gaming itself, I have to speak to the success of the Let's Play Crew over at Rooster Teeth. They have a huge channel, and a big company just based on YouTube channel awesomeness (And Merch). The Videos they make are humorous and enlightening, and really showcase the games they are playing. I can not tell you how many games I have picked up because I watched them play them. I also have to send a shout to the group of streamers who play War Thunder, Phly Daly, and Baron. When I was really into War Thunder, those are the guys I watched to show me how to play right. They are who I watched when learning a new aircraft. 

Lastly, Magic the gathering has a huge following on YouTube. Perhaps my favorate thing to do, if I have a lot of time, is to watch though past Magic championships. The way those guys play, and the decks they build... they are so intense, scary even. Interesting to watch, and hear the commentary following, however. 

Do you watch anything on Youtube?

Anything peak your hobby fancy?

Let me know!

-Rob-


No comments:

Post a Comment